Wednesday, November 25, 2009

TED Talks: Rory Sutherland


My cousin sent me this a couple days ago, and I finally had time to watch it this afternoon.


Ad man Rory Sutherland
talks about the nature of intrinsic value, branding, and altering perceptions. Sutherland is a really charismatic and engaging speaker, and makes some great points about how we can use bright ideas in place of elbow grease.

Watch it!



A great quote from Sutherland from this Guardian article:

"I don't think it necessarily does any harm in any organisation for staff to see the people at the top having a great time. Look at the vast profits made by the financial services sector over the past 10 years. I find the dullness of the Goldman Sachs building frankly horrifying. At least when an advertising guy makes a few million you get a modern art gallery out of it." He roars with laughter: "I mean, if I was making that much money I'd want ice-sculptures of swans in the lobby!"

This guy is awesome. I officially have a new advertising role model.


-Jay

1 comment: