Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Materialism

Something I really miss about having a full time job is money, because money can be used to buy goods and services.

Back when I used to work for a living, I often bought goods and services
without plotting out a detailed cost v. immediate need analysis. Glorious days, those were. Many religions, both new and old, condemn the evils of money, and its frivolous expenditure on non-critical items, and extol the virtues of a penny saved. Not me. Sometimes a man just needs a t-shirt of a space cat riding a tyrannosaurus.

There was supposed to be a picture of my once proud office here, but I can't find it.
Try and contain your disappointment.


As a collector of comic books and plastic bric-a-brac, I've found that money is extremely handy in acquiring these items (I've tried making my own action-figures out of soap, but somehow I always mess up the licensing).

I don't really have a "wish-list" per se, but here are some things, if I had some cash to spend in an irresponsible manner right now, I would pick up.

1. Justin Van Genderen Star Wars Travel Posters.





















"But Jay, they're only $17.50!" Yeah, but I'm poor, and if I get this, what's next?


2. Next I visit Kidrobot. Probably pick up some Futurama mini-figs.




















Morbo!

If that don't float'cher'boat, head over to myplasticheart. A lot of similar stuff, but still good.

3. Comics. I am lucky enough to have a future mother-in-law who, after a great deal of explanation on my fiancee's part, sort of understands that I like Hellboy. And as such, I am the proud owner of the Hellboy Library Edition Volume One.

But, Volume Two and Three are out now. What can a poor boy do? Sing for a rock n' roll band?

4. I also used to collect the annual Spectrum: Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art books. I stopped getting them around volume nine. Someday I'll get caught up.

I could go on. The Internet is an endless shopping mall for the geekanomically-inclinated.

For now, I sit, like a Dickensian urchin, salivating at all the new stuff that could be gathering dust on my shelves.

I suppose I'm loved though, and I have my health. I'll settle for that for the time being.

*sigh*

-Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment