Sunday, March 14, 2010

IPP Day Three: Transcript. AND MORE!

For those interested, I am posting everything that I wrote on Thursday night, and read on Friday morning. From the morning preamble and Jenette Martens introduction, right through to Trevor Gill.

BUT FIRST:

I would like to apologize to Kirsten Goldstone and Julie Prejet for forgetting to mention the
Creative Communications Film Festival coming up on Tuesday March 23 @ 6 p.m. The event is open to all second-year students, and to first-year students who have completed their montages for Dean Cooper's class early. The event will be held in the Great-West Life Lecture Theatre.

For more information, visit the IPP Facebook Group, or contact Kirsten or Julie.I'm not going to spend a lot of time explaining what the IPPs are.


Writing for the IPPs

As part of my introduction, I tried to explain the first two days in under two minutes. I spent a lot of time making a specific reference to EVERY project presented, and I think the bit fell a bit flat because it was trying to cram too much in. Anyways, if you're curious, you can read it below.

Thank you again to Melanie Fatourus and Rose Dominguez for inviting me to host. And kudos again to Amanda Lefly and Mitchell Clinton for doing an outstanding job on Days 1 & 2.

Cheers, -Jay


The Independent Professional Project Presentations Day 3, March 12, 2010


Good Morning,

Fellow students, Instructors, Industry Luminaries, friends and family, graduates,

It is under the divine providence of John Pura that we assemble here again today, for the

third and final day of the 2010 Independent Professional Project Presentations. It’s a half-day today. I got the half day to host. That’s alright, because today, we’ve condensed the excellence down into thirteen outstanding presentations, in the same way that 2X Ultra Tide is two-times concentrated, Day of Three of the IPPP’s are triple-distilled for maximum life-changing incredibleness.



To review for those who may not have attended the first two days:

Day one was: acronyms, lycanthropy, fabulousness, immigration, and headbutting, followed by chills, thrills, Jill, foxy men, equine abuse, and some punks playing their music too loud in a dilapidated church.

After lunch it was a hockey hero, a humble heroine, a happy hellraiser, a heavenly healer, an alliterative idiot, and an alluring Francophone. And the rest of the day was delicious, potable, musical, cinematic, engaging and Epic.


Day Two began with a better world full of toys, bears, brooms, travel bugs, dance dance kentonlarsen, flying discs, personal struggle, mini-cre-comm for kids, the BIG SOUND OF MITCHELL CLINTON, and gratuitous booty shaking.

After lunch we went crazy, but then bettered ourselves, and rocked the after-party; there was a major calamity, we listened to a choir of one, and moved more Nickel than the Mint. And finally, we closed out the day with human dignity, rhyming masturbation, a Woodcock, a peepshow, a gluttonous bear, and a double order of starch.


But remember, today: three times better.


I have purchased a fresh coconut cream pie this morning at yonder Safeway, which is cooling on a windowsill back stage. Barring, theft by hobo, I hope that it will serve as a deterrent for presentations going over their allotted timeslot.

We would like to thank the following outstanding organizations for their sponsorship; Industry Images, Edward Carrier, 94.3 Curve FM, and the Winnipeg Free Press.

We’d also like to thank the Park Theatre for hosting us over the past few days.

We ask that unless you are one of the five designated students who’ll be live Tweeting this morning, that you please shut off your cellular electric personal mobile telephone devices.

For a written transcript of this morning’s program, please send $5 and a self-addressed stamped envelope to Klara Labady, care of Red River College, Princess Street Campus.



Jenette Martens

Metaphorically speaking, our first presenter pretty much knocked it out of the literary park on her first time at “bat”. Originally titled, “Better than Twilight,” a rather pretentious title I talked her out of at the Gemini Writer’s retreat, “Merilee” as it’s now know is the tale of a young Greek woman living in Scotland who is bitten by some sort of supernatural creature… possibly a mummy. Penning her first novel in just one summer, she is the kind of writer I hope to grow up to be some day.

I must warn you, this presentation does contain scenes of supernatural awesomeness.

Here she is, Creative Communications’ own Queen of Screams – Jenette Martens!



Terri Stevens

Our next presenter is a four-time Creative Communications Media Award winner, and my second favourite person from Carman. The town, not the opera.

“Bewitching” does not begin to describe this young woman who judging by the title of her project, a radio documentary about Wicca, likes puns almost as much as I do.

I must warn you, this presentation does contain audio of prestidigitation and powers which some consider to be… unnatural.

Here to put a spell on you, the enchanting, Terri Stevens.



Thor Blondal

Some of you may know our next presenter.

I first met him in Journalism 1, when he became my very first interview subject.

An excerpt from that interview “He exudes a confident but decidedly oddball demeanor, reminding one of a character from a Hunter S. Thompson novel. The tall, lanky and bespectacled Gemini swivels in his chair as he describes his chaotic life as of late, Led Zepplin emblazoned across his black t-shirt, a metal hammer pendant and iPod headphones slung around his 22-year-old-neck. He runs his hand through a mop of curly brown hair, revealing fresh stitches on the end of his pinky finger.

Steve Vogelsang’s comments:

“You raise too many questions and leave too many stories untold.”

Here to fill in the blanks, is The Sultan of Selkirk, the self ascribed Prince of the Universe, a man I am extremely happy to call my friend.

I must warn you, this presentation does contain Thorsten Blondal.



Laurie McDougall

To radically change direction, our next presenter is one of the most charming and amiable young women I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. A labour of love, and of heartache, her project is an audio documentary telling the stories of veterans of the Second World War, titled, “I Will Always Remember.”

Here to share it with us, the lovely, Laurie McDougall



David Turnbull

Continuing the emotional rollercoaster, our next presenter is also one of the most charming and amiable young women I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. He/she and I share a common belief in changing our world for the better through the power and majesty of comedic dinner theatre.

I must warn you, this presentation does contain crossdressing.

The divine Miss David Turnbull.



Erin Bend

Our next presenter is a journalism student who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time just two days ago. And I’m happy to report, she’s a super lady with an awesome vegetarian cookbook to share with us.

I must warn you, this presentation is completely gluten-free. If at any time you feel queasy or gluten-deficient, please visit the medical stations outside for a large glass of barley.

Please welcome, the excellent first-impression making, Erin Bend.



Daria Lysenko & Kamila Konieczny

In Creative Communications, there is only one acronym bigger than the IPP, and that’s the CCMA. Our next two presenters are the masterminds behind the Marker Social and have been working tirelessly to make sure we get the best introduction to Winnipeg’s media elite possible. I for one, am consistently impressed by their talent, their wisdom, their effortless grace, nice smelling hair, beautiful speaking voices, and really amazing shoes. And funny? OH, witty to a fault. And one is Ukrainian, and the other is Polish, and my fiancĂ©e is Polish… and like I always say, we Eastern Europeans have got to stick together.

I must warn you, this presentation is the best one of all.

Two women I would be delighted to accept a Creative Communications Media Award from: Daria Lysenko and Kameela Konieczny.


BREAK


Ashlee Espenell

Our next presenter spent a year delving into the gritty world of vigilante justice, a subject near and dear to me own heart. Ever since I was a puny nerd of 13, I’ve been fascinated by costumed heroes. And now as a portly nerd of 32, my love affair with the medium has never faded. I’ve been reading spoiler-filled reviews of this movie on the internet for months, and if it’s as good as they say it is on Aint-it-Cool-News I’m probably going to download it this weekend.

I must warn you, this presentation contains graphic images of men in spandex.

Presenting: The Astounding, Spectacular, Amazing, and Uncanny, Ashlee Espenell!



Courtney Rutherford

Our next presenter has produced a video documentary about a Winnipeg soldier, wounded in Afghanistan. And honestly I can’t think of anything funny to say about this, I’m just really genuinely interested in seeing this documentary, because I suspect she’s done a hell of a job.

I feel like the boy who cried wolf, but I must warn you, this presentation actually does contain some images of war, and if you are particularly sensitive you may wish to sit this one out. But I think you should stay, because it’s timely and important.

I thought of something funny: The future Mrs. Cole Schapansky, Courtney Rutherford.



Dustin Stewart

While I consider my bromance with Thorsten Blondal extremely special, our next presenter was my original Cre Comm crush. Early mornings in the cafeteria, sharing his copy of the Sun, discussing the events of the day, I with my Timmy’s, and he with his precocious grin. It was a magical time to be alive. Anyways, he did a project about basketball or something.

I must warn you, this presentation may contain pyrotechnics and a live elephant.

The Man, the Legend, D-Stu: Mr. Dustin Stewart



Joel Marcoux

Our next presenter made a video documentary about mustaches.

That’s a *video* doc, not an *audio* doc. So if you came here today to listen to the soothing sounds of gently rustling facial hair, you have questionable priorities.

I must warn you, this presentation will change the way you watch Magnum P.I.

And now: Joel Marcoux



Meryl DeLeon & Shayna Wiwierski

Our next presenters decided not to do “an” event, but rather “the event.” Rock the Ribbon, a fashion extravaganza in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, was by all accounts, unbelievable.

I must warn you, this presentation may cause an uncontrollable urge to dance and/or shop.

You will be hard pressed to find two more fabulous human beings than Meryl DeLeon & Shayna Wiwierski.



Trevor Gill

In first year, I knew this man only by his last name. But you know, the more I get to know him, the more I get to like him. He has focused his considerable media production-fu and produced some videos with musical accompaniment for a local youth group of some sort.

I must warn you, this presentation will tear a hole in the fabric of space and time, repair the hole, and celebrate the repairing of the hole with everyone cool who has ever lived. There is also some salty language.


One last enormous round of applause to welcome Trevor Gill.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an awesome time! I'm sorry I missed it and I miss doing all of this kind of stuff.
    Let's do lunch soon, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good of you to post this Jay...most of us were too nervous to remember what you said for our intros :0)
    No wonder the crowd loved you; so eloquent!

    ReplyDelete