Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Let's Fill this Awkward Silence - with Art and Science!


If you're anything like me, you hate reading and prefer to distract yourself with nice pictures of things. If so, you should be made aware of the Boston Globe's, The Big Picture.

They recently featured an amazing photo-essay on Shanghai's preparations for Expo 2010.

Remember Expo? Yeah, they still have it.





















All children love emotionless automatons with faces of polished obsidian.


Anyways, I was thoroughly impressed with some of the incredible architecture soon to be on display in Shanghai. These tiny pics don't do the buildings justice, so check out the article!

Below are the Polish pavillion to the left, which playfully references the floral patterns and graphic motifs of Polish folk-art. And the Luxembourg pavillion to the right, which references some kind of Kafkaesque nightmare world. Well done Luxembourg.


















Apparently Edmonton is bidding to host Expo 2017.

I was going to say something derogatory about Edmonton, but then I remembered I live in Winnipeg.

-J

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Expo Ernie! I have a picture of me with him when I went to Vancouver in 1986.
    I remember it being interesting, even to a ten-year-old. The theme was Transportation, Communication and Something Else That I Don't Remember.
    It's funny, they were basically telling us that in the "future" (say, 24 years in the future?) we would all be driving three-wheeled electric cars, riding floating monorails and watching Imax! (It was actually called Omnimax back then.) One out of three is pretty bad, especially when there was absolutely no mention of the Internet, Computers or Mobile Devices, three things that dominate our communications & media today.
    It was still fun though. I went on a roller coaster call the Scream Machine!

    ReplyDelete