Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's Big, It's Heavy, It's Wood


I've been seeing this out-of-home treatment around town in the past few weeks:

















And I've been wondering; what the hell is this for?

I went to the trouble of doing some investigating online, and here's what I've found so far.


Flaminglog.ca, log.ca, and logonfire.ca don’t exist as domains.


Firelog.ca is just a placeholder site, which offers to find you useful things such as a job, naughty girls, free movie downloads, or hard hats (?)


Fireplace.ca is just ads for fireplaces, with a confusing picture of a woman looking depressed in front of a fireplace.













Why so serious?


Fire.ca redirects to Toronto’s Twitter page for some reason.


There’s also http://www.log-on.ca/ which employs some very good looking stock photo people.


Hearth.ca is another placeholder/marketing site.


Finally, burninglog.ca is the website for a business which actually sells fireplaces, stoves, patio furniture, and pools. But it’s in Ottawa. So I doubt they'd be putting up confusing billboards in Winnipeg.


In case anyone was wondering, http://confusingbillboard.ca/ could not be found.


The Jay-Rating:


Visually arresting image: 4/5

Easy to understand copy: 0/5

Appeals to target audience: 0/5

Call to action: 0/5

Piques interest: 2/5

Brand recognition: 0/5


Overall: 20%


I hope this is a teaser for a much larger and engaging campaign.


-Jay





3 comments:

  1. When I first saw it I thought Birchwood.ca which brings you to Birchwood Automotive but this campaign seems to edgy for them. So I too am confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birchwood.ca makes sense, but there's nothing on their website that ties in with the poster, so if it IS their ad, why not reward people for figuring it out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the whole 20% thing. I pass one of these billboards everyday and I have no idea what it could be for, so i too decided to do some research. I've found nothing and i'm a little annoyed! What is this thing!!
    -kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete