Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Blog is Coming FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!


Good evening, and how do you do?

Rather than present the same old "100 Scariest Movies" list you've no doubt seen every Halloween since you were old enough to care about lists, I decided to post a few clips of lesser known films that I find particularly creepy. This is by no means an authoritative list, and it's not in any order.


It's just a bunch of weird, scary stuff. Enjoy.


Lynch

In most cases, short clips don’t do David Lynch's films justice. You need to watch the films in their entirety to build the suspense and really get your skin crawling. I sat through three hours of Inland Empire, and at points, was absolutely terrified. When I walked out of the theatre, I had to go get a beer after and think about what I'd just seen.


I remember watching Mulholland Drive one late summer evening. I didn't sleep that night.

No word of a lie, I got goosebumps just watching this clip, and I knew what was going to happen:


Another good Lynchian moment in Lost Highway:




I Wish I Were a Carpenter


John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness is one of the scariest movie I’ve ever seen, and not very well known except to a descriminating clique of film buffs.


The entire film is on You Tube. Stay up late and watch it alone.




Euro-Weird


I think most of the REALLY strange stuff is coming out of Europe and Asia.


First up, the always entertaining Jan Svankmajer presents his version of Faust.



The Brother's Quay make some of the eeriest short films you're ever going to see. They were heavily influenced by people like Svankmajer, and fellow Czech animator Jiri Barta.



Lastly, this isn't a film, but a music video for Einstürzende Neubauten.


I saw first saw this years ago, at 2 a.m. after a night of heavy drinking.



All pretty creepy clips, but...


You want to see something REALLY scary?


-Jay



1 comment:

  1. Dan Aykroyd, Albert Brooks, Twilight Zone - The Movie. One of the best opening scenes ever. But come on! Who doesn't know the theme song to Hawaii Five-O?

    All great clips, Jay! One of my favorite lesser-known creepy films is called Session 9. It's about a construction crew working in an abandoned mental institution. To this day, I can creep out my wife by saying "Do it, Gordon!" You have to see the movie to get it.

    ReplyDelete